Floating Oranges



As part of our "I think, I notice, I wonder" science unit we completed an experiment called Floating Oranges. Before we put an orange in a jug of water, we had to guess whether we thought the orange would float or sink. Most of us thought it would float. We were right! Then Mrs Hildred peeled the orange and we had to guess again whether it would float or sink. This time, our guesses were a bit more even. The orange sank. We found out that air is trapped inside the orange skin that helps it float. This could be an experiment you could try at home in the upcoming holidays.

1 comment:

  1. William was telling me about this experiment, then this morning he showed me the class science discovery book with details of your classes other science experiments. Thanks for sharing your excitement William, love that you are enjoying school.

    ReplyDelete